From Triage Documentation
What is RainMaker?
If you run automated trading (especially from remotely hosted locations), then you must have a high degree of reliability and stability in your trading servers. You know how disastrous having significant downtime can be. It can lead to everything from lost trading opportunities to bad trades.
The best way to prevent trading failures of this kind is to make sure you have a backup and failover system.
RainMaker is a trader IT solution for your trading desktops, servers and cloud computers that helps you monitor, automate and recover from trading server failures using state-of-the-art cloud computing technologies.
Whether you are running your servers from your office, data center or in the cloud, RainMaker will automatically synchronize and failover your primary trading computers to your back-up cloud trading servers.
With a simple web interface and sophisticated mission critical infrastructure, RainMaker will manage switching your servers during unwanted trading server failure events. RainMaker not only watches your server and operating system, but also your trading platform processes, connections and data.
Using RainMaker failover service in your automated or remote trading server hosting is an excellent way to reduce the amount of time your trading is down due to technical problems. It will ensure that you don’t lose sleep over technical glitches that can occur in your server hosted trading.
We plan to fully support the following trading platforms in coming versions: MetaTrader, eSignal, AmiBroker, SmartQuant, RightEdge, Sierra Chart, Interactive Brokers TWS, NeoTicker,MarketCetera, Worden TC2000 and OEC Trader.
What is Trade Services Monitoring?
RainMaker continuously tracks your trading servers and trading platforms. The real-time monitoring system will show you the health of your server, operating system, trading platform processes, trade/data connections and internet connection.
If any of these vital components to your trading fails, then RainMaker alerts you via email, phone or sms. And then immediately takes action to recover and failover your trading to a backup cloud trading server.
What is Failover and Recovery?
RainMaker Failover service essentially consists of your primary trading server sending streaming "heartbeat" information back to the Triage central monitoring center.
Should your trading server fail, these signals will cease, thus causing standby cloud trading servers to take over your trading.
Depending on which type of failover service you choose, you can synchronize and update your primary trading server to the cloud back-up servers in real-time.
Unlike other expensive and slow enterprise failover and recovery systems built for other industries, RainMaker failover and recovery services are designed for you, the trader-- integrated to the trading platforms you use at a small fraction of the cost with modern cloud computing technologies.
Why use cloud computing technologies for trading?
RainMaker not only provides backup, failover and recovery services for your trading, but gives you the ability to manage your trading using cloud computing servers. A new generation of traders benefit from the unique cloud technologies unheard of just a few years ago.
1) Always instantaneous and on-demand. Whether it is one trading server or a thousand, you can boot up and run your trading whenever you need. You don't need to wait days or weeks before everything is ready to deploy your trading environment. The complete data center and network connectivity is ready for you at a click of a button.
2) Bringing down computing costs for you as a trader. You only pay for what you need per hour of use. And there is no initial capital expenditure for equipment or infrastructure to get fully operational. And since most traders are limited to about eight hours a day and five days of week trading, you don't have to rent your trading server 24x7 30 days a month.
3) Scalability to your computing and bandwidth needs. Whether you run a micro server with a single CPU or an extra large CPU computing cluster, you can instantly provision the type of cloud computing infrastructure your need. On demand computing resources have never been easier to acquire and manage. You'll never have to watch your servers get old and out-dated. The entire data center and network connectivity is managed for you.
4) Geo-locate your servers anywhere in the world. Get your trading servers closer to your trading exchanges and sources of data at the key global internet connector points. And with the ability to boot your trading server images anywhere in the world, diversifying your points of failure at data centers and network connections.
5) Accessible anywhere you are or go. Whether you run a remote cloud server as your trading desktop or an automated trading server, you have access to it globally with a simple internet connection. Multiple traders in your organization can access these same trading server resources in one centralized control.
6) Easy to manage. With RainMaker you can easily manage these cloud computing resources reducing maintenance and replacement costs of traditional server hosting or running the trading servers on your own equipment. It's as simple as booting up and shutting down on a new virtual computer each time.
Amazon AWS Cloud Servers
RainMaker currently works with Amazon AWS as the primary cloud service provider. Amazon AWS is the leader in cloud computing services, and provides comprehensive services on the same cloud computing infrastructure that they run for their own mission critical e-commerce systems.
To read more about Amazon AWS cloud computing services, go to this link: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
Some service highlights are included below for your reference:
Elastic – Amazon EC2 enables you to increase or decrease capacity within minutes, not hours or days. You can commission one, hundreds or even thousands of server instances simultaneously. Of course, because this is all controlled with web service APIs, your application can automatically scale itself up and down depending on its needs.
Completely Controlled – You have complete control of your instances. You have root access to each one, and you can interact with them as you would any machine. You can stop your instance while retaining the data on your boot partition and then subsequently restart the same instance using web service APIs. Instances can be rebooted remotely using web service APIs. You also have access to console output of your instances.
Flexible – You have the choice of multiple instance types, operating systems, and software packages. Amazon EC2 allows you to select a configuration of memory, CPU, instance storage, and the boot partition size that is optimal for your choice of operating system and application. For example, your choice of operating systems includes numerous Linux distributions, Microsoft Windows Server and OpenSolaris.
Reliable – Amazon EC2 offers a highly reliable environment where replacement instances can be rapidly and predictably commissioned. The service runs within Amazon’s proven network infrastructure and datacenters. The Amazon EC2 Service Level Agreement commitment is 99.95% availability for each Amazon EC2 Region.
Secure – Amazon EC2 provides numerous mechanisms for securing your compute resources. Amazon EC2 includes web service interfaces to configure firewall settings that control network access to and between groups of instances. When launching Amazon EC2 resources within Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC), you can isolate your compute instances by specifying the IP range you wish to use, and connect to your existing IT infrastructure using industry-standard encrypted IPsec VPN. You can also choose to launch Dedicated Instances into your VPC. Dedicated Instances are Amazon EC2 Instances that run on hardware dedicated to a single customer for additional isolation.